Monday, October 17, 2011

General theme for the army

So, since I've been working on the Iron Warriors, I've had a small bit of an idea. Not much of one, I admit, but at least a bit of an idea. No, not for how to play them, I've been playing 40k for so long that I'm pretty sure I know how to play power armor, especially Blood Angel power armor which is what I'm using the Iron Warriors for (Until the rumored Legion codex at least).

But, that said, I've had this concept in the back of my head for a while. Now, the Iron Warriors were never the feral world style guys, they were the seige engineers, the builders. Methodical, grim, and utterly unforgiving. But, even in a culture where those aspects are most embraced there is always room for betterment, individuality, and intrigue.

Now, seige warfare is cool. Guys who enhance their bodies with metal, and power armor, also... cool. Their vast grasp of technology, once again, awesome. But we have to remember, they were spread out, stationed in small numbers on freshly conquered worlds to keep them in line. In keeping with that, each squad is going to be visibly different from the next while keeping some of the same theme. The first squad of Iron Warriors that I got put together all wear the same cloak. They all have the same head from Max Mini, and have a mix of weapons (close combat wise that is, 2 Meltaguns and 8 Bolt Pistols ain't exactly a variety.) 1 has a power fist, 4 have chain swords, and 5 have axes taken from the chaos warriors box for Fantasy.

Now, I've got, I think, 20 or more heads coming from Maxmini which is the same head that every single one of the Iron Warriors is going to get except for the Termies and characters who are all getting the heads that I put on them already.

The next squad, well, one group of guys with cloaks covering their backpacks is enough. These aren't space wolves after all. The next batch will all have the awesome backpacks from maxmini. I've got 24 of those coming with this order along with the 20 additional heads. While I can't really do much with the bodies right now, I do know that both of the next two squads will have those backpacks.

Now, there's a very interesting set of shoulder pads at http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/shoulder-pads-tr-set-10-p-432.html. I'll attach a picture of the shoulder pads at the bottom. Now, if those shoulder pads fit regular power armor, I'm going to order right at 40 of them so I can outfit the next two squads in similar style to one another. I figure those two squads will represent "line" squads that were not deployed to hold down some backwater system, and didn't get a chance to add personal embellishments to their armor. I do believe however that I'm going to do a mix of weapons for those guys as well. However instead of the axes, these guys will have the hammers from the warriors of Chaos, because a hammer makes a better ideal for a tool than does say a mace, at least, in my mind, and these are after all, siege troops.

So, that'll be one squad of guys with cloaks, two squads of guys with little to no variation between them, and to that we'll add the Forgeworld assault squad I got, which will almost certainly need to be magnetized so I can swap backpacks or Jump Packs as needed. So, that's 40 guys, that even unpainted will give off the same theme of the army. Old, resolute, and Iron.

But, that's just 40 guys. Frequently I toss down 50-60 marines with power armor. If I do that... I'm gonna need more bodies. Now, I could just do up each of the squads into packs of 20. 20 guys from the line squads, 20 guys with cloaks, and 20 guys from Forge World. But honestly... I don't really want to do that. I need to find a new way to do another 20 Iron Warriors that look unique, yet similar in theme to the army as a whole. Of course, I could just roll with another pack of guys from Forge World.

I guess that other than the line squad, I better get to putting the Forge World stuff together.

Here's the picture of the shoulder pads I'm talking about.


Iron Within, Iron Without.

No comments:

Post a Comment